Sunday, October 31, 2010

The First Week - days 1 through 3

I laid awake in bed the night before I was to embark on my culinary journey, plotting my menu for the coming days. I had a plan. I had the means. I was ready to go.

Eight hours later I drowsily woke to the sound of my son squealing with glee. He would wake each morning around 8am, and entertain himself in his crib until I made my way into his room. I had never been a morning person until he had started this tradition three months earlier.

Slowly, it came over me. I had absolutely no will to move, none the less make my own ricotta. My beautiful son had been kind enough to pass his minor cold on to me. What was a few days of sniffles & barely a cough for him had somehow translated into near death. My sense of taste was gone, I had no appetite, and worst of all, I had no desire to do anything more than what was absolutely necessary to make it through the day.

I took this as a sign from above that I should hold off on any major undertakings. The laundry went unwashed. My floors were littered with dirt and paw prints. Baby bottles were strewn about the house. I had my husband eat leftovers. This went on for three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment