Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Start, part 2

When I first explained to my adoring, yet culinarily challenged husband that I wanted to shift our family on to a "whole foods diet", he just stared at me blankly. He thought I was going to go all vegan on his ass, ban his first love (Miller Lite), and expect him to eat quinoa and flax seed at every meal. After a few minutes of gentle nudging & promises that it really wont be that different, he agreed. It's not like he ever cooked, anyway.

Since my refrigerator had so conveniently been purged the week before, I only had to go through the pantry to weed out the remaining offenders.

At first it really wasn't as bad as I had expected. A few boxes of cake mix, several cans of cream of mushroom soup, three jars of peanut butter, a can of enchillada sauce & 2 boxes of stuffing. I was practically home-free. Then a container of Italian-style breadcrumbs caught my eye... and just for the hell of it, I took a peek at the ingredients. There were 37 ingredients in these breadcrumbs, half of which I had never even heard of. After that, I went through everything.

What I was left with was organic canned tomatoes, my collection of vinegars & oils, spices, dried herbs, capers, tea, whole wheat flour, brown rice, and a box of panko. I also kept the raw honey I bought at the local farmer's market, organic agave nectar, and raw sugar.

My counter was piled high with convenient, delicious, and chemical laden boxes, cans, and jars of saturated fat, sodium, and cheap refined sugar. As I bagged the groceries to take to a food bank, a twinge of guilt came over me. I was essentially handing off boxed garbage to needy people.

No comments:

Post a Comment