Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cravings.... the start of many.

Bagels. The big, fluffy kind - the ones with 500 calories and a chewy exterior.

Back when I went to college there was a Dunkin' Donuts situated between my house off campus & the college itself. On either side of it sat the only two bars within walking distance from school - so you can imagine it got a lot of business, especially late night. I always had a love/hate relationship with this place - I would say they had a 40% accuracy rating when you went through their drive-thru. It was like dealing with the soup nazi. You got what you got, and you didn't complain... lest they actually remember you next time & spit in your order.

So you ordered a plain bagel, toasted, with light cream cheese and a small iced coffee? Chances are, the surly woman (who clearly was way too important to be dealing with you in the first place) with the 4 inch  orange fingernails would hand you a vanilla chai tea and a paper bag that contained a stale powdered donut with 5 packages of jelly. Bon appetite, and better luck next time.

Why even bother with a place that got so much business it didn't even care what product it handed out? The bagels were amazing. Those 4 out of 10 times they actually took the energy to get my order right made it all worthwhile. For some reason, the bagels at other Dunkin Donuts just weren't as good. Maybe it was the anticipation - I would convince myself not to get my hopes up. And then, the satisfaction - knowing that I was lucky to actually get what I ordered, that made it all the more savory. Whatever it was about the bagels, this is what I woke up craving this morning.

While I don't miss bread yet, I can tell my husband is starting to get antsy. The man would routinely eat half a loaf, smeared with butter, for breakfast. Thankfully my aunt has been generous enough to offer me her breadmaker - I will be picking it up on Thanksgiving. In the meantime we can do without... but I will be researching the best way to make bagels at home

No comments:

Post a Comment