Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 2

I had completely expected to wake up starving. I ate considerably less than I normally do at dinner, and there had to be some negative reprecussion. To my surprise, I wasn't! And so I began my day.

Breakfast:

Slow-cooker cinnamon oatmeal with cubes of Gala apples. (The house was perfumed with the scent of cinnamon - I recommend waking up to this as often as possible!)
Green tea with local raw honey

Lunch:
Chipotle sweet potato mash
4oz grilled garlic shrimp over a bed of spinach, with lemon juice & olive oil
24oz water with lemon


Snack:
sliced tomato and basil drizzled with balsamic vinegar


Dinner:
Broccoli-Ricotta calzone, with red sauce
spinach, radish, & carrot salad with lemon & olive oil


Pizza dough

3/4 cup very warm water
1 packet dry active yeast
1 tbsp honey
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or any seasoning you'd like)


In my KitchenAid with the dough hook attatchment, I pour in the yeast packet. Fleischmann's makes yeast specifically made for pizza (it comes in a strip of 3), which is faster. Add the water, honey & stir. The sugar from the honey feeds the yeast, so the dough rises better. In about 5 minutes, after the yeast has bloomed, add in the flour, olive oil, and salt. Depending on what I'll use the dough for, I usually add in garlic powder, oregano, or pepper. This is completely optional. Slowly start the mixer, being careful not to coat your kitchen in a thin layer of flour (a rookie mistake, I've done it several times when I'm in a rush) After 30 seconds or so, I increase the speed to medium & let the mixer do the heavy work for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes the dough should have formed a ball, which I then roll out onto a floured counter. A few minutes of gentle kneading is all it takes. Form the dough back into a tight ball & coat with a thin film of oil. Place the ball of yeasty dough back into the bowl, and cover for 20 minutes.

This recipe makes enough dough for 2 pizzas, calzones, or strombolis. To cook, heat your oven to 450 degrees and bake for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment