Saturday, November 6, 2010

Days 5 & 6

Over the past two days I've made granola, salmon with lentils, lemon garlic roasted chicken over hominy, chicken stock, and more baby food. Our son is already 20 pounds, and isn't showing any signs of slowing down. I've had to double my recipes for baby food over the past month, I can't even imagine how much food we'll go through in fourteen years... aigh.

Granola

3 cups rolled oats (not the quick-cook!)
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
3/4 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
any dried fruit you prefer - I like dehydrated blueberries

Preheat your oven to 250*. Mix the ingredients (except for the dried fruit) in a large bowl, and spread a thin layer on two half sheet pans. Bake for an hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Add in your dried & store in an airtight container.


Salmon with Lentils

I used Ina Garten's recipe -- found here

Before last night, I had never cooked a lentil. I was a little freaked out - they didn't look very appetizing. It turns out that they're suprisingly tasty - and contain as much protein per serving as beef, without the fat and only 70 calories. I'll have to experiment with different spices, as they can be bland.

No comments:

Post a Comment